Generating GraphQL from OPTs

There was a discussion on how to simplify working with openEHR in the Separating Models from Implementation.

I created a generator for GraphQL to find out if this is a viable approach.

I cannot upload ZIP files to Discourse so the download link and source code are on my site.

• There is a great Java example in the “java-apollo-android” folder.
  • Also “graphql.schema.json” for a Blood Pressure OPT => GraphQL schema in JSON.
  • And the “schema.graphql”.

Feedback is welcomed.

p.s.
EHRbase also has a generator for Java objects: SDK

1 Like

Very interesting @NeoEHR ! I am no GraphQL expert, but have asked experienced colleagues to have a closer look.

I wonder about some initial things:

1. The intended/possible context of GraphQL query/mutation execution etc. A single field or subtreee of a versioned openEHR COMPOSITION is not modifiable without making and commiting a new version of the entire COMPOSITION (logically via a CONTRIBUTION). Are you considering using this in a “contribution builder” of some kind e.g. as described in: CONTRIBUTION builder supporting collaborative (multi user, multi device) editing? GraphQL? Operational Transformation? ? (If so, we could load an existing version of a COMPOSITION (or several different compositions etc) into the builder, query and manipulate it (them) and then when we feel finished tell the builder to committ the changed objects via a new CONTRIBUTION.
  2. The leaf data types, like different instances of DV_QUANTITY at different paths in listing 1 below seem to repeat the basic structure of DV_QUANTITY under new names BloodPressureDataHistoryEventAnyEventDataBloodPressureItemDiastolicValueDvQuantity has the same content as the corresponding BloodPressureDataHistoryEventAnyEventDataBloodPressureItemDiastolicValueDvQuantity
    This touches a bit upon what @Seref wrote about repeated data types in self contained worlds in
    Separating Models from Implementation - #79 by Seref
    • If the model/subtree is an unconstrained type (like DV_QUANTITY) I’d guess having and repeating a generic corresponding structure would be more readable
    • If the model/subtree is a constrained type like the systolic and diastolic subtrees actually are in the archetype (constrained min/max values, chosen units, different terminology bindings etc) then specially named repetitions would be understandable. But maybe that is something you aim for later?
      image Since I am a GraphQL noob I don’t know if the graphql-constraints-spec is used in tools etc or if it is currently just a seemingly useful suggestion. Or maybe constraints are ususally taken care of by object definitions in client implementations (e.g. constraints built in to a generated TypeScript class for BloodPressure)? - The openEHR backend (CDR) will enfoce constraint checks later anyway…

The structure in Listing 2 below is very readable by the way.

Listing 1 - graphql\schema.graphql

type BloodPressureDataHistoryEventAnyEventDataBloodPressureItem {
  # Peak systemic arterial blood pressure  - measured in systolic or contraction phase of the heart cycle.
  systolic: BloodPressureDataHistoryEventAnyEventDataBloodPressureItemSystolic

# Minimum systemic arterial blood pressure - measured in the diastolic or relaxation phase of the heart cycle.
  diastolic: BloodPressureDataHistoryEventAnyEventDataBloodPressureItemDiastolic

# ...example snippet abbreviated here... 
}

# The leaf variant of `ITEM`, to which a `DATA_VALUE` instance is attached.
# RM type: ELEMENT
type BloodPressureDataHistoryEventAnyEventDataBloodPressureItemSystolic {
  value: BloodPressureDataHistoryEventAnyEventDataBloodPressureItemSystolicValue
}

type BloodPressureDataHistoryEventAnyEventDataBloodPressureItemSystolicValue {
  dvQuantity: BloodPressureDataHistoryEventAnyEventDataBloodPressureItemSystolicValueDvQuantity
}

# RM type: DV_QUANTITY
type BloodPressureDataHistoryEventAnyEventDataBloodPressureItemDiastolicValueDvQuantity {
  property: TerminologyCode
  magnitude: Float
  units: String
  precision: Int
}

# RM type: DV_QUANTITY
type BloodPressureDataHistoryEventAnyEventDataBloodPressureItemSystolicValueDvQuantity {
  property: TerminologyCode
  magnitude: Float
  units: String
  precision: Int
}

Listing 2 - structure from generated\typescript-apollo-angular.ts and many of the other example files

bloodPressure {
    data {
      history {
        events {
          a24HourAverage {
            data {
              itemTree {
                items {
                  systolic {
                    value {
                      dvQuantity {
                        property {
                          terminologyId
                          codeString
                          terminologyVersion
                        }
                        magnitude
                        units
                        precision
                      }
                    }
1 Like

The requirements in the linked thread are clear - make it as simple as possible for the developers to use an openEHR CDR.

I’m still putting together my thoughts but I guess there will be a GraphQL middleware server that will sit on top of openEHR CDR. It will be a proxy between the CDR and applications that need to interact with it.
Is there a better name for this (middleware/proxy)?

Application developers would get a library (in their programming language) that they would use to store/retrieve documents from the CDR using GraphQL (or REST). They would not need to know anything about the openEHR (although I add all the possible documentation for the interested ones to the generated schema/code).

Thank you for the notes about unconstrained types (like DV_QUANTITY). The generator already has few rules to decide whether to create a specific type or use a standard one that is the same for every property of that type.

I have a TODO to check whether DV_QUANTITY is really the same for every property. It doesn’t satisfy the current rules in the generator as it specifies which DV_QUANTITY properties are used. In the case of Blood pressure OPT it always uses the same 4 properties but there are more in the DV_QUANTITY. I’ll do some more research about this. Any help in figuring this out is appreciated.

My suggestion 2013 was a limited but important missing “middleware” for building/editing CONTRIBUTIONs consisting of one or several COMPOSITIONs so I called it “Contribution builder” as described in the thread CONTRIBUTION builder supporting collaborative (multi user, multi device) editing? GraphQL? Operational Transformation?

In 2013 I did not think of providing simplified formats/paths or GraphQL (not published by then), but accessing the contribution builder via GraphQL would be one of the obvious alternatives that should be provided today.

And now, future speculations:

Another piece of, partly related, middleware could be an AQL result* parser that could be accessed via GraphQL. If it is combined with the contribution builder in smart ways I think that would cover most “simplifying” middelware needs.

*) Perhaps a GraphQL-accessible AQL result parser is not very useful for all kinds of AQL query results, some are really simple enough already, but it would likely be useful at least for certain (stored?) queries that return either:

• entire templated compositions (naturally containing “template_id” - see class “ARCHETYPED”) or
  • lists of subtrees of content extracted from parts inside templated compositions. Perhaps one would need to include the template IDs (+path?) in a response column always named “template_id” - or have some other way to make life easier for the template-based model-translating result parser.

The GraphQL schema was generated by my OPT generator.

It is easy to generate code in any programming language. I just don’t want to spend time on other languages if there is no interest in them.

Since my main project uses Dart, I reused the GraphQL generator and generated models for the same blood pressure OPT. Compare the results:

GraphQL:

Dart:

The generator currently outputs Dart code (its syntax is almost the same as Java and JavaScript). Dart tools can compile it to JavaScript (dart2js, dartdevc). It remains almost readable even after compiling. But the readability is not important. The important part is that the code can be run on Node.js or be called from other JavaScript code.

Here is the generator code for GraphQL and Dart. Almost the same. It takes only these few methods and the generator can output code in TypeScript, C#, Kotlin,…

GraphQL:

Dart:

I managed to remove the repeating classes for leaf data value attributes. Now they are all in a single class and using the basic DV_QUANTITY type. The constraints are all in the same class too:

1 Like

Cool! And quite readable!

So does the superclass Element(or some other ancestor) contain a validator algorithm that makes use of the Constraints?

P.s.
To make examples more realistic and complete (and possible to submit to an openEHR CDR) you could wrap the Blood pressure OBSERVATION in a COMPOSITION an add time an other mandatory fields (and skip pulse pressure + mean arterial pressure).
Showing example code instantiating a BP measurement would also help people understand usage

P.p.s.
I have had a look at Dart, Flutter etc
and believe there is definitely room for openEHR-related innovation/implementation in that space, e.g. for:

• simple UX/forms in cross platform developed native apps for old low end phones/tablets (Devices that often have poor/old web view capabilities - as we have noticed in app access logs from patients/inhabitants of Region Stockholm)
  • openEHR data handling in embedded computing
  • performance hungry UX (visualisations etc) on “normal” hardware

One more thought:

Since you have automated transformations from BMM, OPT etc., you may some time in the future also want to autogenerate utility enumerations for things in the openEHR TERM specs openEHR - openEHR Terminology (TERM) Component - latest

Then code would be even more readable and less prone to error by programmers, perhaps part of your code above could then be something like:
..property= TERM.property.Pressure

I’ve posted COMPOSITION for the Vital signs in another thread. It looks like this:

I’ve also posted an example code for instantiating BP:

I have all the terminologies generated as models too:

In the above example CODE_PHRASE is used since that is what is expected by the RM. To help programmers understand the codes I added the terminology text in comments:

..property = CodePhrase(TerminologyId('openehr'), '125') /* Pressure */

I’ll see if the generated terminology classes can be used. They will probably be used in validation.

I’ll answer this in another post since parts of the validation rules are not in computable form yet:

1 Like

In my quest for simplifications I neglected specifications.

I’ve spent the past few weeks massaging attributes into condensed form likable to human eyes. I ran into all kinds of problems. I should have taken these as an indicator of going down the wrong path.

Yesterday I finally succeeded in generating readable data classes :partying_face:
And today I’ll delete them and return to separate classes for the leaf types :boom:

The question I asked myself: Is SDK meant to be used by humans or computers (e.g. generators)?
The clear answer is the latter. Even a simple OPT has too many classes for a human to program into a web form or as an integration interface.

2 Likes