mCode specific archetypes in openEHR

Hi

I wanted some pointers to any effort that is ongoing in developing oncology specific archetypes in openEHR.

Minimal Common Oncology Data Elements (mCode) has an implementation guide in FHIR, but do not see relevant archetypes on the openEHR side.

I have seen the Cancer Reporting project published archetypes in CKM. Any further work happening in that project or others to cover the breadth of mCode ?

thanks
Sangeeta

2 Likes

Hi
There is no initiative on mCODE per now, as I know of. But let’s start it! :slight_smile:
Do you have any concrete implementation where you would like to represent mCODE in archetypes? Any Use case we can start the work around (not user interface)?

I guess you are familiar with the TNM archetypes that were published in 2020. I haven’t seen the specs for mCODE yet, but we can hope to use a similar pattern for mCODE as for TNM?

BTW, for others: This is the home page for mCODE initiative: mCODE | Minimal Common Oncology Data Elements (mcodeinitiative.org)

Regards,
Vebjørn

1 Like

Maybe there are some candidates in our HiGHmed CKM for oncology that are not (yet) in the international CKM: https://ckm.highmed.org/ckm/projects/867.116.5

As I don’t know mCode, this might be helpful or not :grimacing:

At first glance, it seems like many of the elements in mCODE are spread across a variety of already published archetypes. TNM, medications, procedure, ECOG, the brand new Genetics archetypes, BP, Weight, etc.

CodeX is a community working on extending the FHIR implementation for mCode

Nice @varntzen Would be great to collaborate

Hope we have more people interested

Yes have seen the TNM archetypes.

thanks

I did look at mCode a few months ago and I think we do have pretty good coverage. I would certainly be up for building an exemplar template - it fits some other work we will be involved with.

I was one of the original authors for the Histopathology archetypes developed for RCPA. They probably largely stand up but would need to revisited in line with more recent clinical guidance.

The other source of Cancer reporting archetypes are as part of the Genomics England work at https://ckm.apperta.org/ckm/projects/1051.61.28

1 Like

That’s a really interesting project and good materials. We are working on cancer ‘treatment summaries’ though our detailed modelling of this is still quite far away. Scanning the mindmap I don’t see much that I would not expect to be able to model in openEHR, and some of it - like genomics - is not in our immediate scope. The value sets will be really helpful though, and the high level structure of their information model also.

Inevitably we will have to message some of our stuff in and out of our CDR so knowing that there is a FHIR implementation is going to be really useful.

1 Like

@Dr_Anjali_Kulkarni please do look at this thread related to Oncology and mCode.