Have a problem starting Ocean's Template Designer

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to create an openEHR template with Ocean’s Template Designer. I think most people also use this tool too. I’m using Mac. However, I can’t start the program no matter which method I tried. It’s like the program is loading, then it crashed.

• I tried to run it on Parallels virtual machine and Azure’s Windows 10 pro virtual machine.
  • I tried every compatibility setting available and also run as administrator.

The Windows version I’m using is Windows 10 Pro version 1909 OS build 18363.720.

Does anyone have the same problems? How do you solve it? Or could you recommend other template creation tool that I can use?

Here is log file from Windows event log when the app crashed. It’s an error with .NET runtime.

Application: TemplateDesigner.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException

at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoadFile(System.String, System.Security.Policy.Evidence)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile(System.String)

at System.AppDomain.OnAssemblyResolveEvent(System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly, System.String)

Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException

at TemplateTool.Program.LoadApp(System.String[])

at TemplateTool.Program.Main(System.String[])

And another error:

Faulting application name: TemplateDesigner.exe, version: 3.0.169.0, time stamp: 0x5c7e59ae

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.719, time stamp: 0xb31987d3

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x000000000003a859

Faulting process id: 0x12f8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d5f9e6d2e50480

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ocean Informatics\Template Designer\TemplateDesigner.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: eda45979-eb04-4ae2-b62b-a66763dbd675

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Hi @rathpanyowat,

no solution for the technical issue with Ocean Template Designer, but you can use the (hosted) Marand ADL Designer in the meantime: https://ehrscape.marand.si/designerv2/

Best,

Birger

2 Likes

Endorse this. The new Marand/Better ADL designer is the tool that I use each day and teach with. It is rapidly evolving and the tech team responsive to bugs and enhancements.

1 Like

To be fair, the somewhat dated Ocean Tooling is “good enough” for my daily tasks which are more about creating test templates. For “power users” like you, I agree that the ADL Designer is superior.

1 Like

I agree. I have and still can run ocean template designer on vmware fusion on a mac without any challenge. But I woukd still recommend switching to archetype designer.

Thank you very much everyone for your suggestions. I’ll try to use ADL Designer.

Actually, I have tried it before. But when I went to the website, it required me to log in, but I can’t find the sign-up page. I just knew today that I can use the “test” username to log in.

About local deployment, I have tried installing it too, but I got an error again about “cannot find symbol.” But it’s OK, I’ll use the web version first.

Here is the error log of the local deployment. I’ll post it on its Github too.

[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Total time:  4.014 s
[INFO] Finished at: 2020-03-14T20:18:47+07:00
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.1:compile (default-compile) on project designer: Compilation failure: Compilation failure: 
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/repository/file/FileArchetypeRepository.java:[27,24] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   symbol:   class PostConstruct
[ERROR]   location: package javax.annotation
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/RepositoryResource.java:[47,24] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/RepositoryResource.java:[48,24] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   symbol:   class Resource
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/io/opt/OptBuilder.java:[28,24] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/io/opt/OptBuilder.java:[29,24] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/repository/github/AbstractGithubRepository.java:[38,16] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   symbol:   class BASE64Decoder
[ERROR]   location: package sun.misc
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/user/UserServiceLockingAspect.java:[31,24] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/repository/file/FileTemplateRepository.java:[35,24] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/ReferenceModelResource.java:[32,24] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/AppResource.java:[36,24] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/AppResource.java:[37,24] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/AppController.java:[20,24] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/am/AmTypeGraph.java:[25,33] package javax.xml.bind.annotation does not exist
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/UserResource.java:[38,24] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/SupportResource.java:[29,24] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/repository/file/FileArchetypeRepository.java:[41,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.repository.file.FileArchetypeRepository
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/RepositoryResource.java:[62,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.web.rest.RepositoryResource
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/RepositoryResource.java:[64,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/RepositoryResource.java:[67,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/RepositoryResource.java:[71,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/io/opt/OptBuilder.java:[46,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.io.opt.OptBuilder
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/user/UserServiceLockingAspect.java:[42,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.user.UserServiceLockingAspect
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/repository/file/FileTemplateRepository.java:[67,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.repository.file.FileTemplateRepository
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/ReferenceModelResource.java:[44,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.web.rest.ReferenceModelResource
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/AppResource.java:[57,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.web.rest.AppResource
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/AppResource.java:[60,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.web.rest.AppResource
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/AppController.java:[34,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.web.AppController
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/AppController.java:[36,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.web.AppController
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/UserResource.java:[46,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.web.rest.UserResource
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/UserResource.java:[49,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/UserResource.java:[51,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/web/rest/SupportResource.java:[39,6] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.web.rest.SupportResource
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/repository/github/AbstractGithubRepository.java:[139,9] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.repository.github.AbstractGithubRepository
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/repository/github/AbstractGithubRepository.java:[139,37] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.repository.github.AbstractGithubRepository
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/am/AmTypeGraph.java:[70,9] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   symbol:   class XmlType
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.am.AmTypeGraph
[ERROR] /Users/rathpanyowat/Dev/adl-designer/designer/src/main/java/org/openehr/designer/am/AmTypeGraph.java:[70,49] cannot find symbol
[ERROR]   symbol:   class XmlType
[ERROR]   location: class org.openehr.designer.am.AmTypeGraph
[ERROR] -> [Help 1]
[ERROR] 
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch.
[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
[ERROR] 
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoFailureException
[ERROR] 
[ERROR] After correcting the problems, you can resume the build with the command
[ERROR]   mvn <args> -rf :designer

I managed to make it works on my local machine by editing dependencies in some files.

It looks like this version needs Java 8 (not sure), but I use other version of Java.

About the online version, the manual is here:
https://openehr.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/healthmod/pages/415465475/Archetype+Designer+-+template+building+manual

I’m running a previous version of the TD on a Win XP virtual machine without problems, and I really keep that VM just for the Archetype Editor and Template Designer. I need to try TD 3 to see if I get any errors.

Note the Marand editor and the TD might export different OPTs for the same template.

Thanks Pablo,

I think it’s a good approach to create a VM with an old Windows for only TD. I’ll try it. And thanks for mentioning that the OPTs are different between the two programs too.

Hi both,

I’m not sure the .opts will be different - there was an issue before that the .opt format downloaded from the Ocean CKM handled templateIds differently but that has now been fixed.

My experience now is of a very high degree of alignment between the Ocean .oet and .opt formats and Better’s AD.

@sebastian.garde and @borut.fabjan - - Am I correct that there are few issues being identified now? Do the new features added for AHS to TD affect the .opt Sebastian?

Ian

1 Like

I’m running TD ok on a macbook (catalina) latest (almost!) version of VMWAre Fusion.

TD 2.8.94Beta
Windows10 Home 26/10/2019

Interestingly, even when I create a new VM on Azure with Windows 7, It’s still not work. Maybe the problem is on my Mac somehow :thinking:

That’s the version I’m running on WinXP :slight_smile:

I received an OPT exported from the Marand editor from Erik and the OPT didn’t validate against the OPT 1.4 XSD. For instance, on difference is the multiple language in one OPT, which might be because they used ADL2 instead of OPT 1.4, but not 100% sure!

The multiple languages were originally implemented in TD so its not an Adl2 issue as such but perhaps there is a variance there.

One thing to check is the. Net framework dependencies. I suspect modern windows versions do not have them by default.

Thanks Ian,

I have tried turn Windows features about .NET on and off. But it still doesn’t work. I can’t reinstall .NET framework 4.8 because it has been blocked. Tomorrow I’ll try to install it on my office’s PC. Maybe it’s different :smiley:

I’ve installed it on my office’s VM and it works. There are 2 difference between my office’s VM and my VM.

1. My office use Windows 10 pro build 17736, but I use 18363 (mine is newer)
  2. My office use .NET framework 4.7, but I use 4.8 —> I think this one might be the cause of the problem

I tried to search on the Internet, but it seems like downgrading from 4.8 to 4.7 is not quite easy because it comes with Windows when I download the image file from Microsoft website.

I think I’ll use ADL Designer for now :sweat_smile:

Here is screenshots from my office’s VM:

You can try this current version of TD if you like: http://downloads.oceaninformatics.com/downloads/TemplateDesigner/ I have that running on an uptodate Win10 without doing anything special. It’s .NET 4.8

Re the OPT, I don’t think there are any incompatible extensions to the opt format in TD.
What to use as the various ids is not well defined, but CKM is now just going with the flow, so whether right or not, it is at least consistent.

Thanks Sebastian. That’s interesting :thinking:

I’ve tried the version 3 too but it doesn’t work. Today I also tried giving all permissions (full control) to the TemplateDesigner.exe file because I saw one line in the debugging that said:

at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoadFile(System.String, System.Security.Policy.Evidence)

So I think it might relate to security settings somehow. But after I tried everything I can think of, it still doesn’t work :sweat_smile:.

And thanks for the info about compatibility of the OPTs :slight_smile: