CDS / GDL support

Hi,

New to this forum and have been looking at OpenEHR open source implementations for a while. I can’t see any CDS (/GDL) implementations. Is there anything out there or are all the implementations closed source?

Thanks,

Dave

1 Like

Hi David,

this is correct. At the moment, there is no implementation of GDL in any open source openEHR server. At least for EHRbase, this is also not on the roadmap, yet (we have some ambitious features like IHE XDS Integrated Repo Actor, access control via APPC, FHIR TS support…that have higher priority. Of course we are open to contributions).

Hope this helps nevertheless.

Birger

Hi Birget

Thanks for the reply. I’m surprised that there is no GDL implementation. Reasons that I can think of that there isn’t an implementation are:

1. It’s difficult to do (I have commercial experience in this area);
  2. The GDL2 spec itself isn’t adequate (it seems to be driven by Cambio);
  3. There’s no perceived demand for it;
  4. OSS openEHR implementations still have too many ‘core’ features which require focus just now.

Any further thoughts on this?

Regards,

Dave

Hi David,

I think there generally is demand for GDL (as far as I know 3 vendors have implementations) but as said, for us (EHRbase) it is mostly a matter of priority (right now depending on the requirements from HiGHmed and Vitagroup). OSS always relies on a community and someone who is willing to contribute resources (money or manpower) to make things happen. If this is something you would like to see pushed, we are always happy to discuss.

Cheers,

Birger

I am interested in the possibility of using GDL on our platform in due course - there seems to be a lot of sense in doing so - but we do not have an open source implementation and we are moving to EHRbase for our openEHR CDR. I am not precious about using an open source implementation of GDL, but I do want all and any rules we author or fund via the NHS to be open source and re-usable. The engine itself just needs to be able to consume these algorithms and interact with the CDR.

Why do you say the GDL2 spec is not adequate @dmcollie? What things are missing?

Paul

Dr Paul Miller
Clinical Lead
NES Digital Service

Paul

I was postulating that one reason why there’s no OSS implementation is that the GDL2 spec is not sufficient. I’m definitely not saying that this is the case as I’ve no real world experience of GDL2 in action. However I have been experimenting with creating a GDL2 editor and some of the samples given in the specs are not consistent with the definitions in the spec (I could of course be misunderstanding the definitions and / or the samples).

Thanks,

Dave.

Is it possible to do something based on the AHRQ’s CDS Connect Project?

To rephrase it, could we combine openEHR and its GDL with the HL7’s Clinical Quality Language (CQL) to enable CDS?