What do you think about these improvement ideas for the openEHR Tookit?

It’s been a while since we released the openEHR Toolkit and we have a lot of new users (luckily it’s been very active).

We have a bunch of tools to be added from our TODO list and since we are going to add more and more tools, the current GUI might not be optimized for all these tools.

The current GUI is based on a normal admin layout, text menu on the left dividing the app sections, then a set of tools inside each section. Here just a sample flow:

1. dashboard
  2. templates
  3. template details (tools are displayed as big cards with description, etc.)
  4. JSON instance generation tool

Then for reference, this is a flow in the CKM.

1. dashboard
  2. archetype details

You can see on the CKM the sections are in a top horizontal menu organizing drop down menus when clicked, then tabs to organize the main “content” area, and then the “tools” are organized in a horizontal menu just with icons (no text or description). This kind of design is more like a technical app than an admin portal like the layout we have in the openEHR Toolkit.

I would like to know your opinion on having a top menu with the sections and small icon buttons for the tools. Is that something you would prefer to the current design? For sure it will help accommodate more tools easily, though it lacks description on the tools, so it’s like an expert user tool. Maybe we can design something in the middle of the “expert” and the “novice” too.

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them, especially if you are actually using the toolkit.

Thanks a lot!
Pablo.

2 Likes

Hi Pablo, I have used your tool a lot. I would like to congratulate you for all your work because it makes our job much easier.

The only problem I’ve seen is that sometimes you try to create a composition and you can’t. I’m not sure what to do. When this happens you don’t see the reason for the error or it is not very detailed. In my case it would help me a lot to know the cause of the error, whether it is because I created the template wrong or because of any other type of error.

Thanks again for this tool, you are a crack.

1 Like

Hi Agustin, I’m really glad it’s useful for you.

What do you think about the user interface? I’m getting feedback from current users to make improvements.

BTW about your issue, I can check it if you send me the problematic OPTs. Note that different modeling tools might output slightly different OPTs and that some OPTs have errors. Also if you can send me the specific errors will help me check your OPTs and get more useful error reporting.

Thanks again!

1 Like

I find the user interface intuitive and easy to use. Thank you very much for helping me in case I have any problems with the templates.

If I can think of anything to help you improve the interface during these months, I’ll let you know.

1 Like

Thanks. Please let me know which cases failed the generation for you so I can take a look.

1 Like