We’ve been confused by how modelling tools support the DV_DURATION class. We’ve come up with a set of hypotheses about how we think this should work ideally, and would like to discuss it with the community. Some of these are trivial, but I’m mentioning them anyway just to avoid any chance of misunderstandings. Hopefully we can agree on a set of guidelines for UI implementation.
- It should be possible to allow all time units, or select any combination of allowed units to the exclusion of all other time units.
- Only allowed time units can be used to set minimum, maximum or assumed values.
- An assumed value should always be within the interval given by any maximum and minimum values.
- When setting minimum and maximum values, the minimum should always be a smaller value (adjusted for units) than the maximum. For example: Minimum can’t be 120 minutes if maximum is 1 hour.
- When setting minimum and maximum values, the minimum time unit should always be smaller than or equal to the maximum time unit. For example: Minimum can’t be in hours if the maximum is in seconds.
- When setting minimum and maximum values, the maximum can’t be smaller than 1 [largest allowed unit]. For example, if months and years are allowed, the maximum can’t be set to 6 months.