Task planning and ACTION archetypes

Recently @heather.leslie and I have been discussing the limitations of ACTION archetypes and how they relate to Task planning, and we’d really like to know more about this topic. We feel that the intricacies of task planning is a bit opaque at the moment, and we need to know more about it to be able to make good modelling choices. This is particularly important for the ACTION archetypes, where we think we could be in danger of trying to replicate structures/functions that would fit better in Task planning.

Could we have some kind of teleconference in the near future to discuss these issues, hopefully to a better understanding of the possibilities and requirements?

2 Likes

Yes…
Well, ACTION archetypes are designed to encapsulate the possible actions stemming from an order, i.e. that correspond to the ‘doing’ of the order, e.g. book it, start doing, step 1, step 2, finish, complete, and also with various kinds of suspend, repeat etc as appropriate.

I’d be interested to know what the limitations of ACTION archetypes are, from your point of view.

In Task Planning the actions (called Tasks) are not specifically coupled to fulfilling a particular kind of order, but rather something broader in scope, e.g. childbirth, manage diabetes, treat acute ischaemic stroke etc.

We are starting to get some examples together, and hopefully very soon, Dani’s ones on ante-natal care + childbirth should be posted somewhere. There are a couple of examples already online here (but clinically uninteresting), and Better has a whole library, of which I hope some could be made public. And there’s this guide to the TP-VML (visual modelling language), which is emerging (and which Better implemented in the AD).

You can of course skim the main spec, but I think it will put you to sleep! We are about to make a new release, and then add in a bunch of new capabilities, see here for tech notes and a few pictures.

We’ll try to post more helpful stuff soon - perhaps the obs stuff would be the most interesting stuff to discuss.

3 Likes