openEHR step by step

This is a series of videos I’m making, the idea is to show how to work with any openEHR CDR that I can get access to, using the same models (archetypes and templates) and the same data (compositions).

These first two videos show three topics:

1. How to create archetypes and templates
  2. How to generate test data from operational templates
  3. How to use the EHRBASE API to create and query data

Next videos will be on the same playlist.

1 Like

Cool to see more Youtube content like that! Also thanks for showing me more of the Ocean tools. I never really used them, because they are Windows only. Speaking of which: Windows XP? :grimacing:

2 Likes

Thanks Jake, I use Ocean tools because are the most consistent with other tools and the specs, even though they have some known issues too and no much support. Another tool I use for verification is LinkEHR. I consider LinkEHR to be the most “compliant” to the openEHR specs, so it’s very strict. Other modeling tools like Ocean’s and Better’s do some spec bending which is what most implementers use but cause some minor trouble for other tools that are more strict in terms of spec implementation. For the openEHR Toolkit I end up creating 3 different archetypes and templates using Ocean, Better and VeraTech modeling tools and checking the Toolkit supports all of them besides the small differences between those archetypes and templates (yes there are differences!).

About the WinXP is just a virtual machine, though XP was the last Windows OS I used for working, then I switched to Linux and never looked back, so I still have that VM, mostly to run Ocean tools and some drawing tools that are Windows only (and also for playing Civilization 3 from time to time heheh).

4 Likes

I remember that when I used them they worked fine on windows 10.
The UI is not that user friendly though but you could do a lot on ocean tools if you knew how to use the tool properly. As Pablo mentioned, some tools work better with openEHR server, ADL designer works great with better ehr server (ofc) but you get a few issues when working with other openehr servers from different vendors.

3 Likes

Exactly, each tool has it’s own peculiarities and work well with tools of the same “brand” but need some post editing to work well with other “brands”. I find this to be really problematic when talking about archetypes and templates, because those should be generated with the exact same structure independently of the tool used to edit them. Then if some company wants to offer extra metadata, that should be added on top of archetypes and templates, not inside.

This will be more noticeable when we start the process for conformance validation of modeling tools. Right now we are focused on conformance of CDRs but modeling tool conformance is also a key component of any openEHR workflow and should be more compliant.

1 Like