openEHR and Covid-19 deployments

Hi all,
From time to time I have the need to list deployments using or been inspired by openEHR related to Covid-19. Currently Deloitte is about to publish some report on Europeean eHealth, and I was interviewed related to our Covid-19 application.

It would be great to have a concrete list of vendors/hospitals/solutions to be used in such publications.

I open this topic to get some input.

1 Like

The Norwegian EHR supplier, DIPS AS, developed a solution that supports the workflow for screening and infection tracking of
patients with suspected Covid19.

The solution has two main functions:

• Screening of patients on arrival for assessment of whether the patient should be isolated and
associated diagnosis of disease caused by Covid-19 infection. If the given requirements are met
and registered, the tool will give immediate notice of the degree of suspected infection and
whether the patient should be isolated.

• Contact tracing- Functionality that supports the tasks to follow up the activities related to
infection control work, i.e. infection/contact tracking for patients who have confirmed COVID-19
infection.

The solution is currently implemented at 40 nursing homes and at 6 hospitals in Norway and additional
hospitals are about to implement it.

Contact person : Bjørn Næss, bna@dips.no

3 Likes

Nedap implemented the ‘Suspected Covid-19 risk assessment’ template in our nextgen application. We simplified it to the requirements of the Dutch Association of Elderly Care Physicians.
It’s intended for uniformly registering cases in nursing homes.
It has been made available to our 1000+ customers across multiple healthcare sectors. It’s in active use by a dozen customers. (many customers still prefer our legacy (non openEHR) solution for familiarity reasons, or don’t offer nursing home services).

(I would like this message to be reused, but only after approval by Nedap.)

3 Likes

In HiGHmed, we built and deployed the COVID-19 Smart Infection Control System. It allows to trace patient movement inside hospitals to find transmission routes, contact networks and uses lab values, “cov-19 flags” and diagnoses from the hospital information system. Roll-Out has been achieved in 4 university hospitals: Charité Berlin, Heidelberg, Hannover, Göttingen and Münster is currently working on this.

The application is native openEHR, using AQL to access all data points. It is likely that there will be further roll-out to potentially all university hospitals. The application will be further enhanced to any nosocomial infections.

Here is an article in German language: https://www.gesundheitsforschung-bmbf.de/de/smics-smarte-software-gegen-sars-cov-2-11471.php

Here is a video in German language: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAsb3dnUKyI&t=2s

2 Likes

Do you use any of the clinical models developed during the Covfefe project?

No, we pretty much used only the “vanilla” archetypes for problem/diagnoses, lab results, specimen etc.

There is actually one implementation of the Risk Assessment Template at the University of Göttingen but this was then implemented in a non-openEHR system.

1 Like

Would love to see the clinical models to represent the health state of the patient.

I assume you have other constrains on the models for a reporting and monitoring application. Anyway I think Covid-19 might be a great example to verify that our information models are comparable and interoperable.

1 Like

We actually aim to do all these analytics directly on the patient data that is used inside the care provision domain (=EMR). Let’s have a talk after your vacations :wink:

2 Likes

Inpeco in Italy provided clinical tools to assist the collection of medical data for the assessment of the risk of COVID-19 infection. We developed an application that enables healthcare professionals to collect data that is used for an initial screening for the assessment of the risk of COVID-19 infection. This data is linked to the results of laboratory tests for patients undergoing an oropharyngeal swab.

The main benefit of this application is that the healthcare professionals have timely and precise data of the population to whom the questionnaire was submitted. Furthermore, the data obtained with screening and clinical data from laboratories can be used for subsequent epidemiological studies.

The solution is currently used in the Brotzu hospital in Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy. The aim is to extend its adoption to the regional blood collection centres and clinical facilities.

1 Like