Karkinos Healthcare join openEHR as Industry Partners

We welcome Karkinos Healthcare who have joined openEHR as Gold Industry Partners.

Based in Mumbai City India, Karkinos is a comprehensive oncology platform that provides world class cancer care, whose mission is to provide healthcare solutions where almost no person is deprived of care, for lack of access or affordability.

CEO Mr Venkataramanan Ramachandran said “We are pleased to be an Industry Partner for the openEHR community. Karkinos has chosen openEHR standard for building our Oncology focused technology platform. This enables us build an open data standards based oncology specific clinical data repository offering flexible, future proof and interoperable way of maintaining clinical records."

9 Likes

I’d love to learn more about their plans to implement openEHR.

3 Likes

Hopefully they will be joining the discussion on Discourse soon, but I will drop them a note as I’m sure you are not alone in wanting to know more.

1 Like

I did wonder if for all new paid members we should a have a more formal on-boarding process/welcome call to say hello and perhaps Jill and one other board member to talk them through things like Discourse, CKM, program groups, Board comms etc.

4 Likes

I think we should run a new members webinar every 3 months

2 Likes

And perhaps 10 minutes at a Board meeting?

3 Likes

All great ideas, thanks everyone I’ll look at implementing. @rajs is on Discourse and has seen the postings. I emailed him earlier and he is going to post something in response I think when he has a minute.

2 Likes

I think waiting for a 3-monthly call might be a bit long. Better to onboard early?

1 Like

Both might be useful and hi @rajs !! Sorry , when I posted, I thought I was on an internal conversation,so too much use of ‘they’!!

Welcome to the community and it would be good to meet you to find out more about your work.

2 Likes

Thank you Jill and all others for the warm welcome.

I along with a few other colleagues (@Dr_Anjali_Kulkarni @sangeeta.nbose @anupama ) have been part of this helpful community for sometime now.

We are creating a distributed cancer care network (that makes cancer care available close to home across India) powered by technology platform. The tech platform has various elements to it including a onco-specific CDR, onco-specific clinical decision support system based on guidelines curated by our clinicians, onco-specific care plans etc. The onco-specific CDR is based on openEHR.

The approach we are taking is that Data at rest uses openEHR and Data in motion uses FHIR.

We have just started on our journey and would need all the help from the community.

6 Likes

Welcome All@Karkinos, we are certainly here to help in every way we can!

1 Like

I will just add one thing: data in motion also uses openEHR AQL, and with native openEHR you have 20x clinical data coverage of FHIR :wink: Which is why most Apps running over openEHR back-ends just talk native openEHR.

Welcom @rajs. Thank you for sharing your plans. Really cool openEHR is getting more usage in India. Apart from the great work of @Sidharth_Ramesh.
I wondered about the ‘openEHR based onco specific CDR’. Are you planning to build your own CDR or use off the shelve?
Good luck on your mission of distributed oncology care! I hope the openEHR tech and community can support your journey.

1 Like

Welcome Karkinos team to the openEHR community and congratulations on your joining as an openEHR member. It is great to see openEHR adoption finally beginning to happen in India.

regards

1 Like

+1

If your distributed system uses openEHR CDR everywhere, using native openEHR contributions/compositions for data exchange will make it simpler and richer.

regards

1 Like

We wished we could have such uniformity. However the ground reality is that fhir is the chosen medium of exchange for national programs in India and vendors find it easier to implement .

OpenEHR community has to spread more awareness of this wonderful standard. Ultimately it’s the ecosystem that drives the adoption.

3 Likes

Thank you @joostholslag. We are looking at leveraging EHRBase as our CDR.

2 Likes

Prefer to stay away from openEHR/FHIR debates, at least for now :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi @Dileep_V_S how I wish one standard is used everywhere. But as you are aware, there is hardly any such thing in the country.