How to translate the universal attributes of archetypes?

As the Tab “Reference Model” of each archetype‘s Tabbed View shows, the underlying openEHR reference model ‘class’ provides a small number of universal attributes which will always be available as if they were part of the archetype itself.

My question:
How to translate these universal attributes and publish such a translation in order to show them in other non-English language(s) in the same way as other tabs show their content?

Hi Lin,

Do you have the international CKM in mind with your question?
At present the modelling tools focus only on translation of the content, assuming ( rightly or wrongly) that openEHR implementers et al will have or will develop an understanding of the RM attributes and have read or access to the specs in English.
The current CKM doesn’t have RM attributes translated because the primary language of the tool is English, and translations of the model content is able to be easily displayed as each translation is incorporated into the ADL of each archetype.
Foreign language CKMs have translated the RM attributes for their own purposes - it is a complex and detailed task. It would be theoretically possible to translate the international CKM to other languages and display on demand, as per the existing functionality for the Norwegian CKM, but would require discussions with Ocean.
Other modelling tools could potentially be translated. From memory the Ocean AE was able to be language specific and I’m not sure about the situation with other tooling, but that would be an issue to address with each vendor.

Kind regards

Heather

1 Like

Hi Heather,

Yes, you’re right.
It’s why the question was post. Basically, it would be more usable and more user-friendly if a new enhancement supported this feature proposal in the CKM and/or other similar tool.
I understand your answers.
Appreciate so much.

Hi Lin,

THe original Ocean/openEHR Archetype Editor did have the capacity to internationalise some of these RM attributes but this was very much part of the VB programming language, so could not be easily used in other applications. Part of the problem is that a full translation of all RM attributes is an enormous exercise, and generally they will never appear in the UI.

So one question is which attributes are worth translating and if/how we can do this in a vendor-tech-neutral manner?
One option is to take a lead from the Reference Model tab in CKM (for any archetype) this just lists the key ‘clinically relevant’ RM attributes available for a particular archetype class and is powered by a simple definition file - perhaps that could be the start point? I even wonder if we could create one or more dummy archetypes to carry this information, as that would then give use the capacity to handle translation efforts in the same way as we do archetypes themselves.

1 Like

Well, it seems like a feasible one given the limited set of the RM attributes.