ELEMENT with "name" and "value" attributes in ADL

Vital signs template includes “openEHR-EHR-OBSERVATION.pulse.v2.0.4.opt2” with ELEMENT definition that has two attributes: “name” and “value”.

ELEMENT has three optional attributes: “null_flavour”, “value”, “null_reason”.

ELEMENT[id1024] occurrences matches {0..*} matches {    -- Clinical interpretation
    name matches {
        DV_CODED_TEXT[id9015] occurrences matches {0..1} matches {
             defining_code matches {[ac9004]}    -- Clinical interpretation (synthesised)
        }
    }
    value matches {
        DV_TEXT[id9016] occurrences matches {0..1} 
    }
}

ac9004 can have two values:

• at1059: Rhythm(en); Specific conclusion about the rhythm of the pulse or heartbeat, drawn from a combination of the heart rate, pattern and other characteristics observed on examination.
  • at1058: Clinical interpretation(en); Generic label to allow for any or all statements about the pulse or heart beat.

Shouldn’t the above ELEMENT be specified as:

ELEMENT[id1024] occurrences matches {0..*} matches {    -- Clinical interpretation
    value matches {
        DV_CODED_TEXT[id9015] occurrences matches {0..1} matches {
            defining_code matches {[ac9004]}    -- Clinical interpretation (synthesised)
        }
        DV_TEXT[id9016] occurrences matches {0..1} 
    }
}

Or am I missing something?

In case the second example is the solution:

ADL grammar/parser cannot catch ELEMENT with two attributes as error. Should the CKM catch it? Or the OPT validator?

The “name” is inherited from LOCATABLE.
The first part of the constraint above thus specifies a constraint on the name of the ELEMENT/LOCATABLE and one of the - in this case two - options is to be picked at runtime:

1 Like

Thank you Sebastian!

I missed the LOCATABLE.

I’m glad it is something I can fix in my code :blush:

1 Like