Developers

I’m not sure whether OpenEHR is a set of standards or an installable program.

But, I am looking for a developer that can create an EHR. Email me at rogerdavis@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Roger

It’s an open standard, basically a bunch of documents with guides on how to create good EHRs.

1 Like

And does it include

1. a payment module,
  2. a prescription module,
  3. insurance claims submission module?
  4. the ability to create roles and assign permissions?

Finally, I understand that ONC certification is necessary for Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement. One of my fears is hiring someone to build an EHR and then discovering it’s unusable, because it lacks some certification I did not understand.

Roger

#1: no
#2: yes
#3: no
#4: yes/no

I researched the ONC certifications and openEHR a few months ago. The simple answer is that openEHR isn’t US centric and has (almost) no support for all the requirements for ONC certification (I found 124 requirements in the documentation for ONC 2015).

I have my notes in TheBrain and as you can see from the screenshots below, almost all requirements have an icon with 3 red lights. “Track patient prescriptions and medications” is one of the few with the green lights.

The full list of ONC requirements to take into account:

• Analytics
  • Clinical decision support (CDS)
  • Clinical Quality Measures (CQMs)
  • Communication
  • Demographics
  • Diagnostic Imaging
  • Document Management
  • Electronic Medical Records
  • Facilities
  • Labs
  • Medical Billing
  • Patient Engagement
  • Practice Management
  • Prescriptions
  • Privacy
  • Provider Mobile App
  • Referrals
  • Reports
  • Revenue Management
  • Scheduling
  • Security
  • UX
1 Like

Hi Roger,

openEHR is absolutely NOT a full stack open source EPR, which it sounds as if you are looking for.

It does not really deal with the application layer at all, just at the data and business logic layer. It is up to others to build application functionality on top. Many have done so, and there are examples of pretty sophisticated GP and hospital systems built on openEHR.

You will find entering any EPR market, but especially the US, with an attempt to build and sell a new EPR, extremely challenging.

2 Likes

By the way. EHR almost always defines a product (with the modules you listed) in US, but the term usually has a different meaning in Europe (and probably other places that are not the US). EHR on this side of the pond has a more generic meaning, focusing more on the record keeping concept than the functionality that is related to or built on records. Especially in the openEHR view of the world, applications are build on top of EHRs, i.e. they are more like engines than cars. (and with that I open the door to a thousand other imperfect analogies…)

2 Likes