Data set visualisation of templates

I’m coordinating a COVID-19 related modelling effort in Norway, and publishing the models as openEHR templates is on the table. To make this feasible for the vendors and other interested parties that don’t implement their solutions on an openEHR CDR, we’d like to be able to visualise templates more fully and in a more readable way than what the CKM currently does. For example showing the full value sets, including codes, in a “printable” format.

Ocean’s Template Designer has a HTML tabular format. Something like that would be good, although hopefully prettier and more complete. (As far as I can see it doesn’t fully show all event constraints, or terminology bindings to internal value sets)

Does anyone have anything like this?

LinkEHR can generate implementation guides from archetypes. (output is either html or docx format). Just tried with templates and needs adjustments for it to work, but nothing too difficult to fix. It’s also worth noticing that they can be multilingual (same IG can be generated in the desired language, although the narrative part is only translated to English & Spanish right now, but translations to other languages are definitely a possibility). These IGs are the basis for the implementation guides generated for Uruguay’s AGESIC. I can upload an example if it’s interesting

Edit: here you can see an example

Implementation guides would definitely be interesting in the near future! :+1::smiley:

Right now I’m looking for a more condensed tabular type view though.

also, for valuesets one thing you can do is get the equivalent FHIR ValueSet, which already has a kind of HTML part that can be viewed in a browser

Hi Silje,

I have been thinking about this too. Note that the AD can export and XSL form a template - not perfect but might have some value. I made these notes about a week ago - seems a good time to share. I have access to some student resource.

Can you describe in more detail the gaps in the Ocean HTML format, and I will see what my guys might be able to do?

Ian

Github-based Archetype and Template viewer/ simple comment facility

The COVID-19 pandemic is helping show how openEHR can help folks build rapid datasets and applications but it is also throwing up some challenges.

Although CKM is a great tool (in fact uniquely so) for managing and reviewing archetypes, it is less suited for template visualisation and reviews, particularly these that are close to application deployment.

CKM requires very tight governance of archetype versions (quite reasonably) but this can make uploading and maintaining rapidly -iterating templates something of a challenge, though ultimately ‘doable’

More significantly, CKM (and the attendant Clinical modelling team methodology) is not well suited to what might be called rapid template development i.e accepting that good modelling takes time but hat implementation often means we need to compromise. Paradoxically the CKM modelling methodology also anticipates breaking change prior to publication, whereas a rapidly iterating template, mirroring fast changes in content demands stability and avoidance of breaking change.

We can expect a great number of openEHR implementers to wish to share their archetypes and templates, which although in many cases will be baed on existing models, will almost certainly have some localised or even ‘ugly’ modelling - mine included.

I think there is still huge value in communal learning and considerable peer-to-peer reuse of both ideas and model.

What is really missing is tool that can allow some kind of archetype and, critically, template visualisation, of archetypes and templates that are sitting in an open GiHub repository. The tool would itself simply allow someone to enter the URL + repo of that repository and could itself be cloud-based. Any commenting, CRs etc could be handled directly via Github functionality.

I am not aware of any one web-based tool that allows this. I think to have maximum impact it would ideally be open-source, though open to other suggestions.

I am conscious that many existing tooling vendors have some sort of similar capacity but is clearly important that users do not feel locked in to a particular tool, arduous sign-up process (I done think it needs one).

Features

• Web based visualisation of a set of folders that contain a number of archetypes and templates
  • Point the tool at a specific URL - almost certainly a GitHub repo
  • assume a standard folder layout or perhaps (as DIPS have) an optional root folder config file (on the repo itself) that maps to another folder layout
  • List archetypes
  • List templates
  • view a specific archetype
  • view a specific template

Commenting for now done via GitHub itself

I am aware of a number of implementers that may have tooling that can be quickly adapted (or code to contribute)

Possible collaborators

Ocean Health systems
DIPS
Cabolabs
NEDAP
Better
Prof Liu’s team
Diego Bosca LinkEHR

.opt -> web template convertor service

One other very useful addition to this tool would be something that generates something like thew Better Web template from a .opt - the opt is faithful to the AOM and is the source of truth but is it very hard for newbies to understand. Some kind of free web-based .opt-> web template (or similar) convertor would allow others to much more easily contribute to better visualisations and additional functionality. I have undergrad students working with web templates already - .opt is just too hard!!

1 Like

Judging from what it sounds like, an opt to web template converter service would be perfect for what we need right now. I’m not sure I’ve seen what the web templates look like - do you have an example?

Regarding the Ocean tabular format:

1. It’s a little bit messy looking, and it’s not clear what the rows and columns are.
  2. I can’t see constraints on events, for example interval only and fixed duration
  3. I’d like to be able to hide the paths and AT codes, as they’re only relevant to implementers who use openEHR
  4. Term bindings to internal value sets are not displayed, only terminology value sets added in the template.
  5. I’d prefer if it didn’t show unfilled SLOTs.

Example .opt and equivalent web template json -https://github.com/AppertaFoundation/COVID-19-screening-interface/tree/develop/openehr/tech/opt.

That looks rather good compared to the OPT for sure. Would it be possible to apply a nice looking HTML view to the JSON to make it even more accessible?

1 Like