Creating FHIR care plan in openEHR

apologies! This is a beginner question. I am trying to model the FHIR care plan via openEHR archetypes/templates. as far as I know there is already care plan archetype, but that looks like an abstract container. So, I was wondering how I should link it to other archetypes ? Could you please link me to a resourse/document about this topic. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Ali, and welcome to the community!

As you’ve identified, most openEHR COMPOSITION class archetypes are empty containers, more like a blank sheet with a header to identify the type of content. Other archetypes will be used to populate the composition to persist clinical data.

Have you had a look at https://openehr.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/healthmod/pages/415465475/Archetype+Designer+-+template+building+manual ?

Once you’re familiar with how to build templates, I’d suggest having a look at the Problem/Diagnosis (EVALUATION), and Goal (EVALUATION) archetypes for representing care plan problems and goals. For representing the ordering and carrying-out of care plan tasks, I’d recommend looking at the existing set of INSTRUCTION and ACTION archetypes.

1 Like

@siljelb Thanks for your reply! that was actually very helpful.
I know we must persist the content of compositions via CDRs(like Ehrbase). CDR exposes some REST endpoints. And we can save and retrieve contents. The question is, how we should take action based on the content of the composition. Let’s say we have a “service request” archetype in our template, and the doctor asks for a follow-up appointment for the patient. This needs more than just persistent composition value; we must take action based on the composition value. Is there a best practice for that?

1 Like

From your example, a follow up appointment, the next step after the initial order (INSTRUCTION.service_request) would be scheduling. For that step someone, most commonly a human secretary but potentially also a machine appointment scheduler, gets the order in their work list and they create the appointment wherever appointments are made in their organisation. This is normally not within openEHR data, as appointments are easily modelled using more traditional RDB methods and openEHR would be overkill. However, to follow the status of the follow-up activity, one could use a corresponding ACTION archetype to record the status of the appointment, for example “scheduled” or “completed”. You can read more about this here or in more detail here.

2 Likes