Request to join project as translation editor

Jumping in from my summer vacation, here. Could not resist…

I think we should ask ourselves: “What is the international CKM for?”. Is it a repository of 1) all archetypes made, by someone, somewhere, and regardless of it’s maturity and fit for purpose? Or is it 2) a curated, well governed site for quality assured, proven and verified archetypes? These are two extremes, and we should not let the CKM be in either of them. Somewhere in between would be the best, but I must admit I tend to be more in the direction of 2) above.

Today, the private incubators act as a sandbox, with limited access. And should remain so, because it (should) act as a playing ground for the members to discuss very early versions of archetypes, tossing them around and move the rubbish ones to “the archetype graveyard” incubator (which we have in the Norwegian CKM, by the way). Those private incubators should be of a short lifetime, and made public - or the agreed archetypes moved to a public incubator, or a project. There are a lot of rubbish archetypes around, and should not be available neither for translation or download. That’s the purpose of private incubators.

Incubators. They’re the next level of archetype sandbox, publically available. Again, not a permanent place to store archetypes! Those archetypes can still be altered widely, and any translation or downloading will represent a major risk of spending time unneccesary or introducing technical debt by start using them. I know projects and vendors find archetypes in the incubators and start using them. Yes, it’s on their own risk, but as a community we should start thinking in the line of “If I leave my loaded handgun in the top drawer beside my bed, I’m to blame if my kid finds it and shoot its siblings”. (Excuse my morbid analogy, I’m on vacation, right?).

SO, the incubators should also have a short lifetime, moving the ready for review archetypes to a suitable project. “Someone” should be in charge of tidying up both private and public incubators, and move the old and outdated archetypes to the graveyard, or a “not currently in work-archetypes” project. Translation of archetypes in projects? OK, I don’t mind, go ahead. But be aware, and that’s also a warning about that when starting the translation.

Back to the start: In my opinion, the international CKM should act as a source of publically available quality assured archetypes. There are other ways of sharing archetypes, either in other CKM’s or in Git or whatever. And if someone wants to translate any archetype in a super-early draft status, it’s always possible to download it, modify and translate it, in for example Archetype Designer. On their own risk (and potential blame).

In order for the international CKM to become that source of quality assured archetypes, there has to be a assigned QA head (“Clinical lead” as an example :slight_smile: ), and a group of well trained modellers and be given time (yes, I mean paid time) to perform their work.

Over and out, now I’m back to vacation. :sun_behind_rain_cloud:

2 Likes