openEHR and FHIR UKCore

That’s what on the LHS (clinical informatics) side of the diagram I call it an Archetype, on the RHS I use the common IHE term and then the FHIR term (I’ll remove the openEHR bit).

It’s a bridging diagram.

This is a more complicated and I think separate discussion.

Well it is for me :slight_smile: At present I’m using hints in Templates and Archetypes to indicate it can also be a resource.

The only reliable hint I’ve found is nodeId linked to a SNOMED/LOINC term which I’ve taken to imply it’s an Observation. Other resources are possible but I think Templates/Archetypes need to add in some hints to the mapping.
It is a another discussion but this FHIR SDC is talking about it Form Data Extraction - Structured Data Capture v3.0.0

It is the nodeId plus a random number to make the linkId unique (at0000 is causing a lot of issues)

Intend to revisit if I try writing back in FHIR.

Use the archetypeID, not at0000 e.g. ‘openEHR-EHR-OBSERVATION-blood_pressure.v2’ that acts as a unique namespace for any of the atCodes which are unique within each archetype

1 Like

Well they are for those archetypes that are to do with real questionnaires, but not for the other 650 archetypes, unless you want to represent all clinical data as a ‘questionnaire’, which I realise is a path that some FHIR users take. It depends on whether your view is that the FHIR types have any real meaning, or one just uses what is easiest, more or less ignoring the names of the resources.

In the first view, Vitals signs archetypes have nothing to do with FHIR Questionnaire. In the second, maybe they do…

Anyway, archetypes may be best understood as a library of how to record data items, and templates are specific data sets made of such items. A form is just one way to visualise a template or part thereof, but a template is not a form definition, although it can be used to generate one.

2 Likes

I do have multiple answers, it’s not just FHIR Questionnaire, It depends on what the user is doing (use case).

The frameworks (from use cases) I can find in openEHR implementations are currently:

• IHE QEDm (FHIR)
  • IHE XDS (XML)

openEHR probably is suited as the main definition standard for

• IHE SDC (this is where Questionnaire comes in)

Might need to look at also supporting

• IHE MHD (FHIR API for XDS)

In addition you also have HL7 v2 ADT which openEHR implementations support.

All of these frameworks should work together and data models may change depending on use case e.g. an openEHR Composition may be:

• FHIR QuestionnaireResponse (SDC)
  • FHIR Observations (QEDM) - simplified viewpoint
  • OBXs (ADT) - simplified viewpoint
  • PDF (XDS/MHD)