Burn injuries and affected body surface estimations (%TBSA etc.)

Hi!

We are preparing to partially reimplement/transition an old software system for advanced burn injury care into an openEHR and Snomed CT based system. Is anybody else involved in similar work or interested in modeling of burn related archetypes and templates?

Based on the multitude of methods (and variants of them) used for assessing the relative body surface area affected by burns (and other skin-related conditions) I have made a first go att integrating many of them into two flexible archetypes that via templates can be used to create tables like the ones depicted in Figure 2 of https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC449823/ or the (Swedish) one in picture attached below.

Do any of you have comments, improvement suggestions or suggestions regarding how to proceed?

The current files are at:

Hi Erik! I’d like to be involved in this important work! I’m wondering if it would be useful to have a teleconference to get everyone up to speed?

1 Like

Those finding this thread via search etc. may wonder what happened…

We had meetings and discussions and produced two general reusable archetypes and patterns that can be used in templates to build structures representing information like the one in the TBSA table above.

What is missing currently is a pedagogical (preferably terminology-bound) template example showing how to use the archetypes for different area estimation methods like “Wallace rule of nines” or " *Lund and Browder chart".

2 Likes

Thanks Erik,

Always good to tie up the loose threads.

H